For Dear Self From Own Self

Happy Birthday dear me!

Since I was a first year medical student back in University College Cork, Ireland under MARA sponsorship, I have this annual activity I called birthday present from self to self.

This happened since I finally have my monthly money (quite a large sum) although it is MARA sponsorship (bare in mind starting our batch we need to pay back 20% of the money - around RM 200k)

Here I tell little bit about myself.

We are not from rich family, who can easily spend money expensively.

I remember growing up, my mom work so hard to raise us up.

We started living with our grandparents (mom's side) since I was 5. I think it was because my mom easily help our grandparents, my mom still working (until her retirement two years ago), and most of the time we spent with our grandparents (I'm closest to my grandpa!)

As I said, maybe we are from the B40 family.

My mom, she took upah menjahit, tempahan kuih, she selling ice cream Malaysia, jerk buah, tempahan memasak for any events, apart from her daily work.
Remember that time people work for 6 days and half? Half day on Saturday and off day on Sunday.

Those money she earned all for our daily expenses and our education.

She sleep only 2-3 hours every day.
She, who grew up helping her parents at bendang, and kitchen, hard work is easy play for her maybe.

Our baju raya always the last she do, the last day of Ramadhan.
They are beautiful and comfortable, although won't be perfect, because done in rush.
Our baju sekolah is all her effort, from Standard 1 to Form 5.
I never buy baju sekolah because wearing those she made would be more lovely and much comfortable.
Kuih raya, every each of them, my mom do them, we didn't go buy for them, as that time it would be more expensive.

Those times, me being crybaby, especially the fact I'm the last child, really demand for a lot of stuff.

But we couldn't afford them.

The only way to get those things I wanted just either by,
- Get top 3 places in exam
- Get top 3 places in sport
- Birthday
- Any achievements that can be proud of

Yes, this is exactly what I do.

Belajar membaca since 4 years old,
Belajar baca tulisan jawi, Iqra', then Muqaddam and subsequently Quran since 5 years old, (and very eager to finish each of them sebab nak hadiah)
Hafal sifir by 7 years old.

Then entering primary school,
Scoring well in class, do well in sport (almost involved in hockey except my mom against it very much)

I always ask for books, you know books are very expensive!
I mean even the Siri Salma that cost only RM1 is still difficult for me to get them.
Especially most of the time I requested for Harry Potter's book.
Oh you will have no idea how hard I work to got those complete series.

And finally obtained straight 5A's in my UPSR.
And you know what my mom always tell me?

"Ibu paling sedih bila adik minta kamus je untuk hadiah UPSR"
Okay first, it is not a simple kamus.

I requested for Besta, okay.
The electronic kamus.

It cost extremely lot and my mom, unthinkably work so hard for it that just think about it now can easily make me cry.
I was still a selfish 12 years old girl.

This continue when I enter secondary school.

Still so difficult to get things I wanted.

I continue work so hard to score so well in school, keeping my Top 3 place in exams, and involve a lot in extra-curricular activities.

The selfish me stepping up her game.

Not only in exam, and in track and fields event, (I was pretty good in 400m, 800m, 1200m, high jump and long jump), I start be very active in uniform activities, Kadet Bomba and other activities like Debate, Syarahan, balas pantun, Mathematic things, Science things, because I know involved in those while keeping good grade will makes me received more from my mom.

Although I know we are not from a rich family.
I still want expensive things (expensive for us).

And my mom want me to be successful.
It is a win-win situation.

She, still doing multiple jobs, sent me to tuition classes, buy me books and actually ask me to share them with my school friends without taking money from them, and every year we have two set of school textbooks as how much my mom know that we learn a lot by conteng buku. So the school set left untouched.

Its getting more and more difficult to find time for me to keep up with my study that I started sleep for only 3 hours and addicted to coffee since I was 14 or 15 years old.

Because after all the money spent by my mom after all works she do to earn those little money, it would be devastating if I didn't ended up being excellent.

Alhamdulillah, I got straight 8A's again in my PMR.

I don't feel like changing to boarding school so I remain at the same so- called kampung school and alhamdulillah achieve another straight 9A's in my SPM.

These things of working so hard with my mom doing multiple jobs continue until then.

Because I remain selfish, requesting for things we couldn't afford, and my mom keep promising to buy them with each of my achievements.
And she did.
Although not all of my request because many times they were too expensive that it was impossible for us.

Books?
I just read from the library.
That time I was crazily obsessed with Encyclopaedia Britannica and of course again collecting them would be unthinkable.

A year in Penang, first time away from parents, be a bit independent, I stopped requesting much.
And our living had improved after all.

My dad bought me an iPad when I managed to get my place at one of the university in Ireland.

And I stopped depending on my mom on whatever I want.
And I remember trying to send her some money if I got some left with me every month since.

All her hard works paid off.
Her youngest daughter is studying to become a doctor.

Living in Ireland quite costly that still difficult to get what I wanted.
And to get good results are very, very difficult.

Med school is not a joke.
Passing means you are doing well already.

And I started the birthday present from self to self.
The only time of the year I can indulge myself in luxury.

It wasn't a joke.

I bought myself 60 euros clothes and shoes
I bought myself 90 euros jacket
I spent 150 euros on books in one day
I bought myself an iPhone
I bought a simple coffee machine.

And I am very comfortable with being able to buy myself things like this.

Continuing the rewards system to do well in the future.

Started my housemanship I bought myself a MacBook last year.
And this year just accumulation of stuff.
Amir Jahari's and M. Nasir's album, repairing my guitar, numbers of books, new bag pack and laptop bag, and the aim is to buy Teme's 2020 Journal haha.

But I guess being 26 years old, all my love and thanks goes to my mom.
Who have been doing even anything for me to be where I am, and who I am today.
My world indeed revolves around her.
I will do anything for her.

And to do my best, and becoming a wonderful doctor, as how she always hope me to become, is my main aim.

Pray for me that I will become a successful surgeon, specifically Vascular Surgeon ameen.
It is just an ambitious dream that I pray to come true.

Happy Birthday again dear self :)













Comments